Saturday, June 12, 2010

Words

Hey guys! This is more of a response blog than anything else, seeing as Lexa over at Cardiac Outbursts removed her comment function. The blog I'm responding to can be found under the title "You're the one I have decided who's one of my kind...". Note to Lexa: you still haven't changed the link on your blog to my new url. Just saying. Anywho, you can read the whole post over there, but I'm specifically responding to these few lines:

"Why do we all hide behind cryptic lyrics, quoting them to people, enamored with how they sound?/ Songs are so powerful, words are powerful, we are powerful. We hold all this power and so few of us learn how to use it to our advantage. Too few of us speak our minds and stand up for ourselves./ I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and stop hiding behind your words!"

Now, while there's nothing wrong with these words (they're pretty spot on about most people, actually), they do create a small issue in my mind. The problem is that not all of us hide. True, I used to hide behind those cryptic phrases, and sometimes I feel like using them time and again just for kicks, but most of the time I wield my words. They have become a sword, shield, and sanctuary. They can express what I think, defend what I believe, and create imaginary worlds of bliss.  For those of us that, as mentioned, actually learn to speak our minds, words become a powerful tool, and are no longer something we fear and avoid, quoting our interpretations of another persons phrases to make our point. In this way we do "hide" behind words, but can we truly hide behind words when we choose not to wield them? Just something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. So I went back right now and fixed that...yeah...sorry.

    Good point. I guess they can just be used in different ways and most people choose to use them as shields rather than swords.

    ReplyDelete