Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nook STR - A non-exhaustive review

So I've been suckered in to a new reality/contest show: The Glee Project. I've come in late in the game, but it's still a really good show on the Oxygen network. Go watch it, tonight's episode (sexuality) was awesome, and I really respect this one guy on there, you'll know who I mean if you see the episode. But now, down to business:

The Nook. Long story short: I love it. I still have my paper library, and I'll never give that up. But now? Digital is for me. What I'll probably do (until the price of e-books drops to cheaper than a paperback) is buy the physical book, and then download the e-book (technically it is "stealing", but under digital rights rules you are allowed to make or download digital backups of physical media that you actually own, so there). Readability is great, I flew through two 200 page books and a 40 page mini-story yesterday, no problem. All without having to swap physical media! --Which is so what I wanted-- Now, what irks me is that they didn't spend another $.02 throwing in a LED with a switch so I can read without lugging around a book light, but you can't have everything. Also, fleshing out the web browser would be really nice. It does a lot, but gets hung up on pictures that are also links (which, in all fairness, shouldn't bother me because it officially doesn't have an advertised web browser). Maybe I'll root it after all... But for now, It'll stay vanilla. A random plus? I can upload my own screen-savers to it. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment